History of Mt Barker-Hahndorf Golf Club
The Mt Barker-Hahndorf Golf Club became one from 2007 when the Mt Barker and Hahndorf Golf Clubs amalgamated to form one club. Both Mt Barker (1879) and Hahndorf (1892) are steeped in history with the Club's beginnings going back to the late 1800's.
In fact this was not the first time that the two clubs amalgamated as Hahndorf had previously amalgamated with Mt Barker in the early 1900's before separating to commence a stand-alone entity located in the Hahndorf region.
After several moves Hahndorf settled on a parcel of land owned by Vic Nitschke opening a 9 hole course in 1963 which was increased to 18 holes by 1981. Mt Barker itself would make several moves before being located on its current site (1977) with moves to Wistow and other sites before the current land with a regular water source could be secured.
The 80's and 90's saw a boom in golf and both Mt Barker and Hahndorf had strong membership numbers of 900 and 600 respectively. Through these peak times Mt Barker, looking to the future, decided to have a major upgrade to the facilities, and built a state of the art Club Room Facility for the enjoyment of members and guests.